Join us on our Journey Down Under!

We're an American family living in Australia, where everything seems a little bit turned-upside-down.


Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fond Family Memories Coca-Cola Style!

I remember summertime in Montana.  It was like stepping back in time.  We spent about 2 weeks there every summer during the 1980’s, but it seemed more like how I pictured the 1950’s.  For me it was like “Happy Days” come to life!  I was only a child, but my parents allowed me to play kickball in the streets until dark (which in Montana summer meant after 10 p.m.)  We were allowed to ride our bikes to the corner store all by ourselves and buy a Coca Cola and some candy.  Some evenings we would even ride our bikes to the movies where only one picture was showing.  There was even a curtain that opened when the movie started.  Half way through the movie, the curtain closed and it was time for intermission.  Of course, that meant a Coke with some popcorn and candy! 
In the center of town there was a large square where people gathered for festivals and celebrations.  A little west of town there was a huge park and picnic grounds with a creek running through it.  We had many family gatherings and my parent’s class reunions there.  A perfect recipe using coke for one of those reunions would be my Coca-Cola Pulled Pork.  It is the easiest recipe I know!  Here it is:
Coca-Cola Pulled Pork Sandwhiches:
3 lbs pork any cut
1 can Coca-Cola
I onion chopped
Barbeque Sauce
Hamburger Buns
Put all ingredients in a crock pot and let cook on low for 8 hours.  Drain juices and set aside.  Pork should shred easily with a fork.  Add juices to gain desired consistency.  Add barbeque sauce to taste.  Serve on buns with a pile of cole slaw on top. 
ENJOY with a can of Coke!
Now that I have kids of my own, I like to continue family traditions.  We travel to Montana as a family about every other year now.  We have a timeshare there where we can enjoy each other without the distractions of everyday life.  We go hiking, play in the creeks, float the river, fish in the lake, and go to the movies.  I love to show them where I played as a kid.  I bring them to the corner store to buy a Coke and some candy.  We have picnics in the park and stay up way too late even though the sun doesn’t tell us so. 
Another  tradition I am passing on to my kids is teaching them to bake.  I was given this Coke Cake recipe years ago, and it has proven to be moist and delicious every time I bake it.  Now that my daughter is ten, I let her make it all on her own.  Here is that recipe:
Coke Cake:
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups small marshmallows
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup Coca-Cola®
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
3 tablespoons cocoa
6 tablespoons Coca-Cola
1 box (16 ounces) confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, sift sugar and flour. Add marsh- mallows. In
saucepan, mix butter, oil, cocoa, and Coca-Cola. Bring to a boil and pour over dry
ingredients; blend well. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk just before adding to
batter along with eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well. Pour into a well-greased 9-
by-13-inch pan and bake 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven and frost
immediately.
To make frosting, combine butter, cocoa and Coca-Cola in a saucepan. Bring to a
boil and pour over confectioners' sugar, blending well. Add vanilla extract and
pecans. Spread over hot cake. When cool, cut into squares and serve.

*The cake recipe was contributed by Lee Avery Catts to "Atlanta Cooknotes"
published by The Junior League of Atlanta.

No matter what the tradition, adding Coke to the mix makes it better!  Whether it be a family picnic, a fishing trip, an afternoon at the movies, a bike ride to the corner store, a class reunion, or a Classic Family recipe… Coke goes with everything good.

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Coca-Cola® blogging program. If I am one of the first 100 blogs received by SocialsMoms, I will receive a $25 gift card. For more information on the program, click here." (Make sure you link back to the discussion page:http://familyclassics.socialmoms.com/about)

No comments: